If you're thinking of starting your own blog then it's important to make sure you're planning as much as you can in advance. While it may appear easier to dive right into the deep end of the blogging world, that's not always the case. If your goal is to turn your blog into a career, there are some important steps to take first. With that in mind, here are six important questions to ask before starting your blog.
📌 Pin this for later!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. You can find more information here.
Who is Your Target Audience?
Identifying your target audience from the get-go is a crucial key in starting a blog. With a clear idea of who you're writing for, you're able to create content tailored to them. This is also helpful when developing an opt-in freebie because you'll be able to identify common problems your target audience experiences and solve them. The best way to identify your target audience is to build a specific persona, or avatar, of your ideal audience. For a guide on how to do this, you can visit this site here.
What Will You Blog About?
Chances are if you're thinking of starting a blog you already have a general idea of what you want to blog about. That's great! But, take it one step further and really narrow down your niche to better serve your target audience. Determine what kind of problems your target audience may have and create content to solve it. The more your content is geared toward your target audience, the more engagement and traffic you'll receive. Your blog content doesn't have to adhere to a rigid guideline though. It's okay to be flexible, but try to relate your content to your niche in some way.
What Will You Name Your Blog?
Once you've identified your target audience and settled on a niche, it's time to select a name for your blog. The name you pick is pretty important, so make sure to give it some thought. While not an easy process, take into consideration what your blog is about and what you want to be known for. Make a list of blog names you like, then narrow it down by checking which domain names and social media handles are available. Once you have done this, you will have already narrowed it down to just one or two to choose from.
A couple of things to consider when selecting a domain name:
- Keep it short and sweet
- Don't use slang words
- Double check the spelling!
- Always try to get a .com domain name, as it's the most common
Where Will You Host Your Blog?
Hosting is an important element to consider when starting a blog. This determines not only how people will see your content, but how you'll build and design your blog. When it comes time to build your own website from scratch the web host you pick will have a big impact. Your chosen host will have an impact on your site speed, security, and storage—just to name a few!
There are many hosting companies available but my favorite is SiteGround. I like SiteGround so much that I switched my business website to SiteGround from Wix earlier this year! They have affordable hosting plans as well as excellent customer service. I ran into two problems during the switch and SiteGround customer service solved them for me in less than 10 minutes. Easy peasy!
Interested in purchasing a hosting plan through SiteGround? I've got great news! When you use this link, you can get hosting for as little as $3.95/month.
What Social Media Platforms Will You Use?
Social media is a great way to make people aware of your blog. It might be tempting to try to take on several platforms at once, but I advise against it. The main reason for this is because it can be overwhelming trying to keep up with every platform. Instead, focus on one or two platforms and build from there as you become familiar. For more information on choosing the best social media network for you, you can visit this guide here. Once you've settled on a platform or two, take the time to create a content calendar. That way you'll know what to post and when which allows you time to really craft your message. Plus, it eliminates the stress of trying to figure out what to post last minute.
How Will You Drive Traffic To Your Blog?
Finally, you need to have a plan for growing your blog. Starting a money-making blog isn't an overnight project. It takes time and dedication to see results. Successful bloggers are killing it because they've found a way to drive traffic to their blog. So, it's important to have a plan going in.
Here are some ways to generate traffic to your blog:
- Make SEO a priority. Do keyword research and create content around those terms. When done right, you can generate organic traffic by appearing higher in Google's search results.
- Utilize Pinterest. You've probably heard it before, but Pinterest isn't a social media platform. It's a search engine—and you need to be on it! This is one of the biggest ways bloggers drive traffic to their website. If you're unsure how to get started, there are two guides I recommend: Making Pinterest Possible and Pinterest Ninja. When you combine those strategies with the power of Tailwind, you've got a recipe for success!
- Join blogger groups on Facebook. There are a ton of great Facebook groups for bloggers to promote their content. Many feature promotion threads, which helps increase social shares and web traffic.
- Use paid ads. This may not be in the cards right off the bat, but you can use paid adds on social media platforms to increase your content's reach. It's not for everybody, though.
Seriously, there are a ton of ways to drive traffic to your blog! It's just a matter of having a strategy in place and putting in the work.
How to Get Started
Once you've answered these six questions, it's time to get started. To help you out, I've included a list of great resources to help you build your blog money-making blog from scratch. Check them out below.
- An In-Depth Guide to Starting a Blog That Makes Money
- 5 Tips to Create a Feminine Website
- 10 of the Best Free Plugins Every Blogger Needs
- How to Turn Your Blog into a Money-Making Side Hustle
- How to Use Stock Photos + Where to Find Them for Free!
- Everything You Need to Know About Email Lists
- 5 Reasons You Need an Email List
- 10 Easy Ways to Grow Your Email List
- How to Create an Opt-In Freebie Your Audience Will Love
- 20+ Ways to Promote Your Opt-In Freebie & Explode Your Email List
- The Secret to a Successful Side Hustle
- Making Pinterest Possible: What You Need to Know
- How Pinterest Ninja Exploded My Traffic | Review
- 10 Facebook Groups for Freelance Writers & Bloggers